Chairman: Hervé Chneiweiss
The CEI’s mission is to lead debate concerning the ethical issues raised by scientific medical research and health research as it is carried out within the Institute. The Inserm Ethics Committee may be consulted by all Inserm staff, through scientific bodies, or through the Directorate General. It may also decide to debate an issue unilaterally.
The Inserm Ethics Committee is composed of fifteen members who are appointed for a 3-year period, which may be renewed.
At least half of the committee members are not directly affiliated to Inserm, and at least half are not biologists or doctors. Male-female parity is ensured. Members’ fields of expertise are complementary and cover biomedical research in humans, animal experimentation, product regulation and health-care procedures, and health economics and sociology. The committee includes French-speaking individuals from outside France.
Members of the CEI
- Hervé Chneiweiss (Inserm/CNRS - Neuroethics)
- Isabelle Remy-Jouet (Inserm - Quality assurance, health technologies)
- Jennifer Merchant (Université Paris 2 - Bioethical issues of comparative public policies)
- Mylène Botbol-Baum (Université Catholique de Louvain-Belgique- Bioethics and philosophy)
- Catherine Vidal (Institut Pasteur - Neurobiology, sex and gender in research)
- Catherine Bourgain (Cermes 3 - Human and statistical genetics, participatory research)
- Hélène Combrisson (Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire, Maisons-Alfort - Veterinary medicine)
- Henri Atlan (Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales - Biology and philosophy)
- Marc Brodin (AP-HP, Université Paris 7 - Health policy evaluation)
- Grégoire Moutel (AP-HP, Université Paris 5 - Relationship between medicine and society)
- François Moutou (French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (Anses) - Veterinary epidemiology)
- Pierre Jouannet (Université Paris 5 - Human fertility and reproduction)
- François Eisinger (French Comprehensive Cancer Center, Marseille - Epidemiology, health economics and prevention)
- Bernard Baertschi (Université de Genève - Moral philosophy and ethics of biotechnology)
- François Hirsch (Inserm - Ethics of life sciences, research ethics in the South)
Ethics committee support team
- Coordination: Christine Lemaitre (Inserm, Cell Biology, Development and Evolution Institute), contact : email@example.com
- Assistant: Yamina Sadani (institution-ethics committee liaison).