The Inserm Ethics Committee is organized into several Theme-Based Think Tanks. These themes continue to evolve in response to the issues raised by scientific medical research and health research.
Health Big Data
- P. Lombrail, I. Nisand et coll. Interim Memo on the Health Data Hub, health data warehouses, and the ethical questions raised by the collection and processing of Health Big Data (January 2022)
Gender and Health Research
This group seeks to raise awareness about the concept of Gender among Inserm researchers, and to measure the impact of this concept in public health terms.
- C. Vidal and J. Merchant. Ethical challenges of using digital menstrual tracking apps for birth control and conception (October 2022)
- C. Vidal and J. Merchant. The COVID-19 Crisis, A Powerful Indicator of the Impact of Gender on Health: A Comparative Study Between France and the USA (September 2021)
- C. Vidal. Health and the Environment: The Vulnerability of Female Populations (November 2020)
- J. Merchant and C. Vidal. Statement of Intent: Gender, Occupational Health and the Environment (July 2019)
- J. Merchant and C.Vidal. Gender and Health: A Public Health Issue (June 2019)
- Practical guidelines for the consideration of the link between sex and gender in medical research and health, neuroimagine – Inserm ethics committee (June 2016)
- Practical guidelines for the consideration of the link between sex and gender in medical research and health, cardiovascular – Inserm ethics committee (June 2016)
- J. Merchant, C. Vidal and M. Botbol-Baum. Presenting the Gender and Health Research Group (June 2015)
- J. Merchant, C. Vidal, M. Botbol-Baum and C. Bourgain. Gender and Health Researche Group (June 2014)
Ethics of Health Innovation
- C. Bourgain, M. Grosset. Rethinking Health Innovation: Towards a Plural Ethical Approach (November 2020)
- B. Baertschi, H. Atlan, M. Baum-Botbol, B. Bed’Hom, H. Combrisson, C. Dosquet, A. Dubart-Kupperschmitt, F. Hirsch, P. Jouannet, I. Rémy-Jouet, C. Lemaitre and G. Moutel. Organoids Research: What are the ethical issues? (April 2020)
Embryo and Developmental Research
This group focuses on research in which germ cells and gametes are obtained from stem cells, embryo research with a cognitive focus, and embryo research that may improve infertility treatments and the results of assisted reproductive technology.
- B. Baertschi et P. Jouannet. Evaluation of PReimplantation embryo Aptitude for DEvelopment – EPRADE (June 2021)
- B. Baertschi, M. Brodin, C. Dosquet, P. Jouannet, A. S. Lapointe, J. Merchant, G. Moutel. Research on Embryos and Embryonic Models for Scientific Use – EMSUs (January 2019)
- B. Baertschi, M. Brodin, C. Dosquet, P. Jouannet, A.S. Lapointe, J. Merchant, G. Moutel. From Embryo Research to Therapy (December 2017)
Research with direct access to patients
Until now, it has mainly been doctors who have informed and proposed to patients to participate in a new study designed to advance research. But the opportunity is increasing for pharmaceutical companies or other clinical trial organizers to contact patients directly. This change must be anticipated if they are to be carried out in an ethical manner.
- F. Eisinger, F. Hirsch, B. Baertschi, M. Botbol, I. Jouet, A‑S Lapointe, H. Chneiweiss. Clinical Research: Access to Potential Participants Pre-Enrollment: Staying One Step Ahead? (March 2019)
Representations of Animals in Research
This group investigates the links between animal representation and animal experimentation and tries to improve the management of the potential distress experienced by experimenters.
- F. Moutou, H. Combrisson, B. Breant, S. Mouret, B. Rault and I. Remy-Jouet. Representations of Animals in Research (January 2018)
Health Research in Resource-Limited Countries
This group studies the particular nature and challenges for health research ethics in resource-limited countries, and aims to promote their application.